Friday, June 2, 2017

Summer Meal Planning

Summer is here! To make my life easier I (with the help of my family) come up with a monthly meal plan. Everyone chips in and lets me know one thing they would like to eat every day of the week this month. I also thinks this helps with the grocery budget because I am buying a lot of the same foods in bulk.
Sundays this month we will eat something Grilled.
Mondays this month we will eat The Most Important Meal of the Day (Breakfast)
Tuesdays this month we will eat Tacos (of course)
Wednesdays this month we will eat wraps (My kids love wraps, there are easy to make, and great for hot summers)
Thursdays I'll make up a 30-min meal
Fridays this month we will have Fun Family Flick & Food (The food will coordinate with the flick)
Saturdays will will be a Sandwich or Salad

We won't be following this if we happen to go out of town or go out with friends but it's all planned for when we eat at home.

Last Friday was my girls last day of school so we celebrated by having an early FUN FAMILY FLICK & FOOD FRIDAY.
Throw back to the 80's! Anyone remember this movie? It's rated PG but does have a few swear words. My kids really liked it and our dinner too. We had HARRY STEW.....
SPOILER ALERT! At one point in the movie the Henderson's try to entice Harry into the car to take him back to the forest by throwing sacks full of hamburgers and fries into the car. So we put ground turkey and potatoes in our stew. BUT Harry wasn't that interested in this because....he is a vegetarian! So we loaded lots of veggies in here.

2 pounds hamburger or ground turkey
1 medium onion
4 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
A handful of baby carrots chopped up
2 small celery ribs cut very fine
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 large zucchini shredded
1 heaping cup of peas
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (helps to thicken it up)
1 -2 TBSP salt (I used a little over 1 TBSP seasoned sale)
1 - 2 tsp pepper

Cook meat and onions until cooked through.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil
Reduce heat; cover and simmer until veggies are cooked through.
Sprinkle each serving with Parm on top

We ended our night with "HARRY" gingerbread cookies that my girls decorated earlier that day.

Disclaimer: I am not a foodographer (someone who is good at taking pictures of food).



No comments:

Post a Comment